Montjuïc Hill is 173 meters above the port and the best place to do many things. It is near to Aerobús bus stop at Plaça Espanya.
Montjuïc is a prominent hill overlooking the Barcelona harbor. At the top, you can discover Montjuic Castle (XVIII century). It was traditionally the home of military fortifications, prisons, and the unfortunate execution site for political prisoners.
Many of the attractions were constructed to celebrate the 1929 International Exhibition. In 1992, Barcelona celebrated Olympic Games, and this was the best place for the sport event.
Here you will find some of Barcelona’s biggest tourist attractions. You can discover the following attractions:
- Montjuïc Castle: it was military fortress at the top of the Montjuïc Hill. It was built by Juan Martín Cermeño (1751). It witnessed of city’s struggles during different periods. Also, it was used to imprison political dissidents or for mass executions. It was here that Franco killed the Catalan leader Lluís Companys (1940). Today, is one of the best places to see a great panoramic view of Barcelona.
- Olympic Park: These are the main facilities where the Olympic Games in Barcelona in 1992 took place.
- Lluís Companys Olympic Stadium: the stadium was originally built for the International Expo and then renovated for Summer Olympics in 1992. Currently, it hosts sporting and musical events.
- Palau Sant Jordi: It is an indoor sports palace where in addition to sports events, take place major cultural events. It is considered a masterpiece of the Japanese architect Arata Isozaki.
- Picornell swimming pool: There is outdoor swimming pool, which was used for the Olympic swimming events.
- Telecommunications Calatrava Tower: Telecommunications tower designed by Santiago Calatrava.
- Magic Fountain: between Plaza España and MNAC museum. It is a spectacle of light and water, sometimes accompanied by music.
- Poble Espanyol: It is an architectural and cultural open-air museum that reproduces various buildings, squares, and streets of the Spanish geography. It was created for the International Expo 1929. It offers contemporary art, architecture, crafts, and gastronomy.
- Museums: the mountain is home to several famous museums such us Catalonia National Art Museum (MNAC), Joan Miró Foundation, The Mies Van Der Rohe Pavilion, Museo de Arqueología de Cataluña, Ethnological Museum, etc.
- Gardens: Montjuïc features Mediterranean garden and Parks such us Mossèn Costa i Llobera with more than 600 species of cactus, Joan Maragall where you will find regal style gardens or the famous Botanic Garden.
- Viewpoint:in the mountain you will also get fantastic views of Barcelona and the Mediterranean Sea as the protagonist.
Do you know the origin of his name? In Catalan, Montjuïc can be translated simply as“Jewish Mountain”. It was named this way due to the Jewish cemetery found during medieval times in Barcelona.
Nowadays, the area is a touristic magnet for Barcelona. Remember Aerobús is the official service between Barcelona Airport El Prat and the city center. Buy your ticket and enjoy the city during the journey!